COVID-19 | Latest School Update

Naracoorte

Together We Shine

Faith and Science in Christian Education

Joel Munro, Sunrise Christian School Naracoorte Principal

I have a vivid memory of one of my first university lectures. The lecturer taking the subject took the time to point out that the single biggest threat to the environment is not carbon emissions, but religion. As a young Christian at the time, it was an intimidating position to find myself in, and as the year continued it became painfully evident that (according to my lecturer) a belief in God and science could not coexist or even be mutually beneficial.

As my time of study came to a close, I decided that I wanted to do everything I could to ensure that this message did not go unchallenged. Before long, rather than listening to a lecturer in a theatre, I was standing in front of a group of young and wonderful minds in a classroom.

For the last 15 years, I have had the privilege of teaching science to children of all ages. In both classrooms and labs, we have explored all facets of science and in doing so have seen how God’s character is interwoven through all scientific understanding. Students are constantly surprised that the truth of God and scientific discoveries indeed match up and complement one another. None of this should be surprising, as all truth finds its end and its beginning in God.

Here in Naracoorte, much of our science lessons are developed in a way that reveals how science and faith in God not only mix, but provide us with a complete picture. As Albert Einstein said; ‘Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.’
Students are able to see the order and design of God’s creation through such things as the structure of atoms and molecules to the broader interactions of an ecosystem. We discover how God has planned for all things to work in cooperation and sustain life.

One of the most damaging lines consistently being fed to our children is that science and religion can’t go together. What a privilege it is to teach in a Christian school where we are allowed to show how an understanding of the Creator is the first step in understanding His marvelous creation.

This is a view that is and will continue to be challenged. So if you have any further thoughts or questions, we would love to hear them.

Providing opportunities for our students to develop a deeper understanding of science is just one way in which we can continue to bring that light to the world and enjoy our glorious God.